Celebrating Nelson Mandela
July 18th is International Nelson Mandela Day.
International Nelson Mandela Day (or Mandela Day) is an annual international day in honour of Nelson Mandela, celebrated each year on 18 July, Mandela’s birthday. The day was officially declared by the United Nations in November 2009, with the first UN Mandela Day held on 18 July 2010
Madiba spent 67 years making the world a better place, and the call is out for people everywhere to celebrate his birthday by acting on the idea that each person has the power to change the world.
Every year millions of individuals across the globe spend part of the day devoting 67 minutes of their time – one minute for every year of Mr. Mandela’s public service – doing something for the less fortunate as a small gesture of solidarity with humanity and a step towards a global movement for good
The fact that there is an International Day to honour this man is very fitting because of the Hope that he brought to the world. Nelson Mandela was the face of the Fight for Freedom and Democracy in South Africa, but more than that he was revered for his Courage, his Spirit of Reconciliation, his Wisdom, his Forgiveness, his Grace and his Love for Children.
We as Little Fighters Cancer Trust are paying homage to this great man today for his Love of Children, because it is that love that is so needed in this world. There are so many children who need so much in this world, but all children need love.
There can be no keener revelation of a society’s soul
Than the way in which it treats its children.
~ Nelson Mandela ~
Two of this year’s Mandela Day projects were held over the past weekend:
* Grande Roche Hotel hosted a fundraising entertainment evening on Saturday, 16 July with great entertainment in a beautiful setting, and LFCT is one of two charity beneficiaries of this event.
* Snow World at GrandWest Casino and Entertainment World held an event on Sunday, 17 July where the only entrance fee was a new, single bed blanket for a Child Fighting Cancer.
These blankets will be handed over to the Little Fighters Cancer Trust to be delivered to our Little Fighters all over South Africa. This was a Fair Cape Dairies Partnership event.
Our Little Fighters need loads of love to help them and their families fight against the scourge of cancer, and that they have in spades from all our wonderful supporters, but they also need more practical things such as clothing, food, blankets, and much more…
If you have not worked out what to do to celebrate Nelson Mandela Day yet, it is still not too late. Here are some ideas:
* Host a Food Collection/Drive in your offices and donate the collections to LFCT for distribution to our Little Fighters and their Families. You can find a list of our needs on Our Wishlist page under Food Pantry Needs
* SMS LFCANCER to 31222 to subscribe to our Daily Motivational SMS Message for a mere R10 per week donation.
* Open a Personal Fundraising Page on Doit4Charity or Back a Buddy online fundraising platforms, and use your passion, whether it be cycling, running, swimming, paragliding, paddling or jumping, and run your own fundraiser for the Little Fighters Cancer Trust, without having to handle any cash!
*Volunteer your services or professional expertise
* Make a Financial Contribution to the Little Fighters Cancer Trust in honour of Tata Madiba to enable us to #DoMandelaDayEveryDay, as this is our aim 24/7/365
Corporate donations receive full Section 18A tax and B-BEEE score benefits. Email firstname.lastname@example.org, should your company wish to get in our corner.
Little Fighters Cancer Organization
First National Bank
Account Number: 62277783249
Branch Code: 250057
Thank You, Tata Madiba for all you did for our country and for the world.
Posted on 18 July, 2016, in Articles, Blog, News & Events and tagged #madibaday, Madiba, Madiba Day, mandela day, Nelson Mandela, Nelson Mandela International Day. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.