More on Alternative Cancer Treatments: Gerson Therapy
Although we have previously mentioned Gerson Therapy, we thought that you might be interested in more information on this Alternative Therapy for Cancer.
The Gerson Therapy was one of the first natural cancer therapeutics and has successfully treated patients for more than 80 years. Rooted in an organic, plant-based diet, raw juices, coffee enemas, and natural supplements, the Gerson Therapy restores the body’s ability to heal itself.
The Gerson diet is naturally high in vitamins, minerals, enzymes, micro-nutrients, and extremely low in sodium, fats, and proteins. A typical daily diet for a Gerson patient on the full therapy regimen features 13 glasses of fresh, raw carrot-apple and green-leaf juices prepared hourly from fresh, organic fruits and vegetables; three full plant-based meals, freshly prepared from organically grown fruits, vegetables, and whole grains; and fresh fruit and vegetables available at all hours for snacking, in addition to the regular diet.
The Gerson diet is extremely detailed. It is not just the foods that are included and excluded; it is when the foods are eaten, how often they are eaten, how they are prepared, how not to prepare them, what to cook them in, how to package them, etc.
Dr. Max Gerson was born in Wongrowitz, Germany, in 1881. He attended the universities of Breslau, Wuerzburg, Berlin, and Freiburg, and graduated in 1909.
With Germany in the grip of Adolph Hitler’s Nazi regime, Dr. Gerson left the country for Vienna in 1933. He also lived for a short time in France and England. Arriving in the United States in 1936, Dr. Gerson was licensed to practice in the state of New York in ’38 and became a U.S. citizen in 1942.
In 1946, Dr. Gerson appeared before the Pepper-Neely Congressional Subcommittee, during hearings on a bill to fund cancer treatment research:
Dr Gerson was well aware of soil issues, the electricity of cells, how cancer cells ferment glucose, oxidizing enzymes, sodium/potassium balance, connective tissue, and other technical issues related to cancer. His treatment and approach were a “whole body” approach; he did not consider treating only the localized area of concentrated cancer cells — as orthodox medicine does — a good idea.
He was focused on treating the liver. Several chapters of his book deal with various aspects of the organ. Dr. Gerson saw a parallel between the deterioration of the liver and the growth and progression of cancer. Because of his concern for liver problems, he did not favor fasting.
Dr. Gerson also was interested in the potassium group of minerals versus the sodium group. He favored the potassium group for treating cancer and his diet forbids adding salt to foods. The ratio of potassium to sodium was something he emphasized several times.
Even in the 1950s, Dr. Gerson was aware of the importance of organic foods. General farming practices left the plants — such as carrots — without enough nutrients. Damage was done to foods by the way they were processed and packaged. Think how much worse things are today …
“Stay close to nature and her eternal laws will protect you.”
— Dr Max Gerson
Dr. Gerson addressed the Pepper-Neely subcommittee on behalf of S. 1875, a bill ostentatiously set forth to “authorize and request the President to undertake to mobilize at some convenient place in the United States an adequate number of the world’s outstanding experts, and coordinate and utilize their services in a supreme endeavour to discover a means of curing and preventing cancer.”
“The dietetic treatment, which has for many years been known as the ‘Gerson diet,’ was developed first to relieve my own severe migraine condition,” Dr. Gerson said. “Then it was successfully applied to patients with allergic conditions such as asthma as well as diseases of the intestinal tract and the liver pancreas apparatus. By chance, a patient with lupus vulgaris [skin tuberculosis] was cured following the use of the diet. After this success, the dietetic treatment was used in all other kinds of tuberculosis — bones, kidneys, eyes, lungs, and so forth.”
Dr Gerson added that his first cancer patient (bile ducts) was treated in 1928 with success. Seven favourable cases followed out of 12 and remained free of symptoms up to 7½ years.
During testimony Dr Gerson noted that his diet protocol is condensed into three components:
- The elimination of toxins and poisons and returning of the displaced “extracellular” Na-group, connected with toxins, poisons, oedema, destructive inflammation, from the tissues, tumours, and organs where it does not belong, into the serum and tissues where it belongs — gall bladder with bile ducts. connective tissue, thyroid, stomach mucosa, kidney medulla, tumours, and so forth.
- Bringing back the lost “intracellular” K-group combined with vitamins, enzymes, ferments, sugar, and so forth, into the tissues and organs where it belongs — liver, muscles. heart, brain, kidney cortex, and so forth. On this basis, iodine, ineffective before, is made effective, continuously added in new amounts.
- Restoring the differentiation, tonus, tension, oxidation, and so forth, by activated iodine, where there were before growing tumours and metastases with de-differentiation, loss of tension, oxidation, loss of resistance, and healing power.
“The great number of chronic diseases which responded to the dietetic treatment showed clearly that the human body lost part of its resistance and healing power, as He left the way of natural nutrition for generations,” Dr Gerson surmised.
Today, the National Cancer Institute contends Gerson Therapy is “advocated by its supporters as a method of treating cancer patients based on changes in diet and nutrient intake. An organic vegetarian diet plus nutritional and biological supplements, pancreatic enzymes, and coffee or other types of enemas are the main features of the Gerson therapy. The regimen is intended to “detoxify” the body while building up the immune system and raising the level of potassium in cells.”
The NCI also notes, “the regimen is empirically based on observations made by Max Gerson, M.D., in his clinical practice and on his knowledge of research in cell biology at the time (1930s–1950s). No results of laboratory or animal studies are reported in the scientific literature contained in the Medical Literature Analysis and Retrieval System Online database. Few clinical studies of the Gerson therapy are found in the medical literature.”
When Dr Gerson died on March 8, 1959, his daughter Charlotte vowed his work would not die with him. She has continued Dr Gerson’s work through the Gerson Clinic in Mexico and the Gerson Health Centre in Hungary. In 1977 she founded the Gerson Institute with Norman Fritz, president of the Cancer Control Society. The Gerson Institute established treatment centres and trained holistic physicians, nurses, and kitchen help in the facets of Dr Gerson’s treatment.
Dr Gerson’s research showed that degenerative and chronic diseases are caused by toxicity and nutritional deficiency. Toxicity is accumulated from the pollution in the food, water, air and numerous chemical substances absorbed from your environment. Deficiency is the result of a diet that consists of artificially raised, chemically treated, processed and flavoured foods. After a lifetime of chemical accumulation and low nutritional support, your body’s defences break down and the result is the manifestation of “chronic” disease.
According to the Gerson Institute, toxicity results from the “better living through chemistry” philosophy of our modern world, where …
- Bug killer, weed killer, and chemical fertilizers are sprayed onto the plants we eat.
- Pollution is pumped into the air we breathe.
- Chemicals of all kinds are dumped into our oceans, lakes and water supplies.
- People are fed hazardous Fluoride waste under the pretense of being good for their teeth.
- Farm animals are given growth hormones so they produce a greater profit and antibiotics so they can survive their harsh lives.
- Pre-made Industrial foods are filled with chemicals that enhance taste so that you will buy more and turn off the “I’m full” switch in your brain so that you will eat more.
- Preserve and extend shelf life so their “merchandise” will survive longer on the shelf.
Drugs are given for every ill, pain and strain.
- Soaps, shampoos, deodorants and almost all personal hygiene and cosmetic products contain degreasers, alcohols, parabens, fragrances, stabilizers, solvents and numerous other chemicals.
Nutritional deficiency comes from eating nutritionally depleted, genetically engineered, pesticide laden, salted and sugared foods, loaded with preservatives, dyes, artificial flavours, sweeteners, and thousands of chemicals.
The process of restoring your natural defences and rebooting your immune system is simple:
- Drink flavourful organic juices throughout each day. The prescribed Gerson juices, made from organic fruits and vegetables, bathe your 100 trillion living cells in a constant stream of health-giving vitamins, minerals, nutrients, and enzymes.
- Follow an organic plant-based diet, with lots of raw and cooked foods. This floods your body with more vitamins, minerals, nutrients along with the critical health promoting enzymes necessary to repair your body.
- Detoxify your body at the cellular level using a powerful natural process that flushes chemicals and toxins from the liver.
- Prevent depletion of your organs and interruption of critical biological processes by eliminating industrial foods with chemicals, preservatives, dyes and additives, animal protein, alcohol, smoking, drugs, sugars, salts, fats, oils, dairy products, fluoride, chlorine.
- Eliminate further poisoning of your body by removing the sources of chemicals and toxins in your environment such as household cleaners, fabric softeners, non-organic soaps and shampoos, perfumes and deodorants, and air fresheners.
The Gerson Diet
The Gerson diet is plant-based and entirely organic. The diet is naturally high in vitamins, minerals, enzymes, micro-nutrients, and extremely low in sodium, fats, and proteins.
The following is a typical daily diet for a Gerson patient on the full therapy regimen:
- Thirteen glasses of fresh, raw carrot-apple and green-leaf juices prepared hourly from fresh, organic fruits and vegetables.
- Three full plant-based meals, freshly prepared from organically grown fruits, vegetables and whole grains. A typical meal will include salad, cooked vegetables, baked potatoes, Hippocrates soup and juice.
- Fresh fruit and vegetables available at all hours for snacking, in addition to the regular diet.
You can learn more about the Gerson diet HERE to read about which foods are permitted and prohibited on the Gerson Therapy.
Although the effectiveness of the Gerson regimen has not been rigorously proved, equally it has not been disproved either. …
A definitive trial on the efficacy of the Gerson regimen is long overdue. Information from such a trial would be of great value as it would assist patients to make informed decisions, protect their safety, and add to the patients’ choices in improving their survival chances and quality of life in their fight against cancer.
Please note that the Little Fighters Cancer Trust shares information regarding various types of cancer treatments on this blog merely for informational use. LFCT does not endorse or promote any specific cancer treatments – we believe that the public should be informed but that the option is theirs to take as to what treatments are to be used.
Always consult your medical practitioner prior to taking any other medication, natural or otherwise.
Posted on 12 June, 2017, in Alternative Treatments, Blog, Cancer Treatments, Videos and tagged alternative cancer treatments, cancer, cancer nutrition, cancer treatment, childhood cancer, Fighting Cancer, Gerson Diet, Gerson Institute, Gerson Therapy, Little Fighters Cancer Trust, Pediatric cancer. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.