What is the Budwig Cancer Protocol?
Hippocrates is credited with saying “Let medicine be thy food and let food be thy medicine”.
Dr. Johanna Budwig, however, is known for implementing this belief and making it a reality in her medical practices.
Dr. Johanna Budwig had a doctorate in physics and PhD in natural science, and was also a chemist and qualified pharmacologist. In the 1950’s, she was the chief expert consultant for drugs and fats at the Bundesanstalt fur Fettforschung, or Federal Institute for Fats Research, in Germany.
Budwig began analysing the blood of thousands of cancer patients, and found two striking common themes throughout the samples she took. The first was that almost all very ill cancer patients were extremely deficient in phosphatides and lipoproteins (two types of fat molecules produced in the body that are essential for NORMAL cell division).
She also noticed that whereas a healthy person’s blood would contain red, oxygen-carrying haemoglobin, in its place the cancer patients’ blood contained a “greenish-yellow substance.”
Dr. Budwig came to the determination that cancer was the result not necessarily of too much cell growth, but of defective cell growth, stating that:
“The formation of tumours usually happens as follows. In those body areas which normally host many growth processes, such as in the skin and membranes, the glandular organs, for example, the liver and pancreas or the glands in the stomach and intestinal tract—it is here that the growth processes are brought to a stand-still.
Because the dipolarity is missing, due to the lack of electron rich highly unsaturated fat, the course of growth is disturbed—the surface-active fats are not present; the substance becomes inactive before the maturing and shedding process of the cells ever takes place, which results in the formation of tumours.”
She also made the analogy that “the battery is dead because the electrons in these fats and oils recharge it.”
The Budwig Protocol
The Budwig Protocol involves a combination of flaxseed oil and cottage cheese, organic foods, herbal and homeopathic formulas, exercise, fresh air and sunbathing in a controlled and healthy way.
Flax is a plant grown in many parts of the world. Pressing its seeds produces linseed oil to use in cooking or as a food supplement. The seeds contain high levels of fibre and many vitamins and minerals.
As well as flaxseed and cottage cheese, the Budwig diet is rich in fruit, vegetables and fibre. You have to avoid sugar, meat, and fats such as butter, margarine and some oil.
The Budwig Protocol recommends the use of healthy products such as Stevia sweetener, Xylitol from birch trees, cold pressed oils, Spelt flour, and unrefined Celtic sea salt instead of using white refined sugar, refined oils, and white flour. It also promotes using only fresh and organic fruits and vegetables.
Scientists have tested substances in flaxseed on cancer cells. This very early research suggests that these substances may help to stop cancer cells growing and spreading.
Recently scientists have been interested in lignans or phyto oestrogens (plant oestrogen) in flaxseeds. Although they don’t understood exactly how they work, scientists think that lignans may act on cancers that depend on hormones, such as some breast cancers. They also think that they may act as an antioxidant and slow cancer cell growth.
Budwig Diet & Protocol: in Brief – 15 Key Points
Below are Guidelines in brief of the Budwig Diet – you don’t have to consume all the foods on this list. This information is from Dr. Budwig’s books.
- 1st thing in AM–Sauerkraut Juice, preferably raw & homemade [We have a video on our site showing how to make it] . Raw unheated kraut has enzymes, probiotics and vitamins which help the digestive system metabolize foods & improve immunity. Most sauerkraut sold in stores is pasteurized [heated] and nutrients are damaged. It won’t help as much.
- Just before breakfast– green or herbal tea
- Breakfast–3 Tbs. Flax Oil & 6 Tbs. Quark or Cottage Cheese+ 3 Tbs. milk if needed for thinning, well blended, after blending, add 2 Tbsp flax seeds, freshly ground, add fresh fruit, fruit juice, raw nuts, 1 tsp raw honey. Afterward, if hungry, choose whole grain bread, raw vegetables, & an oz of quality cheese: Edam, Gouda, Emmentaler, Sbrinz or Camembert.
- Mid-morning – Homemade Vegetable Juice (carrots, beets w/lemon or apple, or greens) . Homemade carrot or beet juices are very important cancer-fighters.
- Before Lunch – Champagne or sparkling wine with 1 Tbs of flaxseeds[freshly ground] OR ground flax seeds in small glass of fruit juice. The champagne helps with absorption of the seeds.
- SUNBATHING outside 10 to 20 minutes around noon [weather permitting] without sun lotion or glasses, expose as much skin as possible. Avoid washing with soap after sunbathing. Give the vitamin D time to be made and absorbed[24-48 hours]
- Lunch – raw vegetable salad or vegetable plate + Budwig dressing. If still hungry, boiled or steamed veggies, grains and beans, lentils, or potatoes. [If a member of this site, see “DINNER” in the Menu for over 25 recipes]
- Lunch Dessert – It’s important to have a 2nd serving of 3 Tbs. Flax Oil & 6 Tbs. Quark or Cottage Cheese with a little milk, well blended. Add raw fruit, fruit juice, raw nuts, raw honey and/or other flavors you like.
- Mid-afternoon – 1 Tbs. whole flaxseeds, freshly ground & added to 3 to 8 oz of pure fruit juice, homemade or store bought.
- STRESS REDUCTION/RELAXATION PRACTICE — Meditation to relax the mind, EFT to change thinking, & other techniques that reduce stress as shown on the Budwig-Videos website for those who join. [EFT is Emotional Freedom Technique]. Chronic stress can be very damaging. [We have a video for relaxation methods for members of this site.]
- Late afternoon – Papaya or pineapple juice, 3 to 8 oz, with 1 Tbs. whole flaxseeds, freshly ground.
- Dinner – Cooked grains and nutritional yeast flakes such as Red Mill Nutritional Yeast with B12 or grains with vegetables w/oleolux, nutritional yeast flakes & spices. Vegetables such as spinach, asparagus, broccoli, & cabbage add cancer-fighting nutrition. Grains suggested by Dr. Budwig: brown rice, buckwheat, millet and oats. Dine early.
- Evening – 1 glass Red Wine [optional]. Go to sleep early – before 10pm if possible.
- AVOID chemicals, preservatives, damaging fats, meats/poultry/eggs/fish, sugar, sugar substitutes, highly processed foods, most supplements, ozone treatments, dental infections and wean off drugs if possible [under doctor’s care]
- Most people do not need ELDI oils, which Dr. Budwig created mainly for patients who are too weak to eat. These oils are sold in Germany. They are rubbed on the skin or used as an enema if needed. [Some people make a version of ELDI oil at home by mixing 75% flax oil with 25% wheat germ oil to help preserve it. ]
Possible Side Effects of the Budwig Diet
Possible side effects of flaxseed include:
- feeling sick
There have also been reports of a few allergic reactions. Taking high doses of flaxseed without enough water can cause bowel blockage (obstruction).
Flaxseed may interact with some medicines. It can stop some drugs being absorbed properly if they are taken at the same time.
It is important to talk to your doctor if you are thinking of trying the Budwig Diet. They may advise that you don’t have flaxseed if you have certain conditions including:
- bowel problems such as inflammatory bowel disease
- bleeding disorders
Eating plenty of vegetables and fruit is part of a healthy diet. But restricting your diet by avoiding certain food groups may stop you getting enough nutrients for your body to work properly.
While there is no reliable evidence to show that the Budwig diet helps people with cancer, there are many that swear that it helped them.
Please note that the Little Fighters Cancer Trust shares information regarding various types of cancer treatments on this blog merely for informational use.
LFCT does not endorse or promote any specific cancer treatments – we believe that the public should be informed but that the option is theirs to take as to what treatments are to be used.
Always consult your medical practitioner prior to taking any other medication, natural or otherwise.
Posted on 20 September, 2017, in Alternative Treatments, Blog and tagged BioMagnetic Therapy, Budwig Diet, Child Cancer, Child Cancer Awareness, childhood cancer, Childhood Cancer Awareness, International Childhood Cancer Awareness Month, Little Fighters, Little Fighters Cancer Trust, paediatric cancer, pediatric cancer awareness. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.